This template tenancy agreement is an agreement between the landlord and tenant of a private property, which could be a house, flat or maisonette. It is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and is written in accordance with the Housing Act.
The tenancy agreement sets out the rights and obligations of both the landlord and the tenant and deals with issues such as the deposit, maintenance, rent and eviction, as well as containing a full range of other statutory and ‘good practice’ provisions. It is highly recommended that a proper tenancy agreement such as this is signed with a tenant before they move in.
Contents of the Tenancy Agreement Template
- Title, parties, premises (and exclusions)
- Term, covering the term of the tenancy, with a provision for rolling month-to-month following natural expiration in the absence of a new agreement
- Rent, stating the amount and payment dates
- Deposit, the amount and its return at the end of the tenancy
- Fixtures and fittings, stating the inclusion of the fixtures and fittings and referring to the attached inventory
- Type of tenancy, declaring the agreement creates a shorthold tenancy and provides for recovery of possession under the Housing Act
- Tenant’s obligations, covering in detail 24 particular obligations on the part of the tenant including both standard and precautionary clauses
- Landlord’s obligations, containing the statutory minimum obligations on behalf of the landlord
- End of tenancy, laying out what is expected at the end of the tenancy, how the tenancy can be terminated by the landlord, and a provision for abandoned items
- Deposit deductions and return, covering the landlords right to withhold the deposit until all possible deductions have been assessed and made
- Miscellaneous, covering a range of other provisions including methods of notice, keys and access, waiver, enforceability, and jurisdiction
- Schedule – Inventory
FREE Sample of the Tenancy Agreement Template
Download a FREE sample of this tenancy agreement template to check that it is what you are looking for before buying.